The Directorate has been under the leadership of distinguished gentlemen of the Bar, including Late Hon. Justice E. A. Hotonu (Rtd), Late Hon. Justice Muri Okunola (Rtd.), Hon. Justice O. Ilori (Rtd), Hon. Justice A. B. Adeniji (Rtd.), Late Mrs P. K. Fakeye, Late Hon. Justice J. Oduneye(Rtd), Late Hon. Justice Biosogun (Rtd), Hon. Justice Dolapo Akinsanya (Rtd), Hon. Justice A. A. Phillips (now the Chief Judge of Lagos State), Hon. Justice D. T. Okwuobi, Ms. C. E. Uweja, Hon. Justice S. O. Ishola, Mr Lawal Pedro S.A.N, Mrs S. Y. Kolawole. Presently, directing the affairs is Mr S. A. Quadri (Esq).
MAIN FUNCTIONS OF THE DIRECTORATE
- Review/General defence of Court Processes and Petitions served on the Office of the Attorney of Lagos State or through Client Ministries.
- Legal Research.
- Legal Advice.
- Representing the State Government’s position in Court.
- Sustenance of the capacity enhancement courses and trainings for the Officers within the Directorate.
- Appearance in all Courts, Tribunals or panels in Nigeria with regard to Civil suits involving the State Government.
- Attendance of meetings.
- Other Ad-hoc duties as assigned by the Attorney General and/or the Permanent Secretary.
ACTIVITIES OF COUNSEL IN DIRECTORATE
The functions/duties of the Directorate are derived from the powers of the Attorney General and Commissioner for Justice of the Lagos State being the Chief Law Officer of the State. This is to ensure that cases involving the Lagos State Government are resolved expeditiously, upholding the tenets of Justice in the process.
- Reasonable level of conclusion of Cases.
- Effective Reduction of the Contingent Liability of the State Government.
- Use of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Mechanism to further reduce litigation costs.
- Persuasive Legal Advice/ effective interaction with Client MDA’s .
The Directorate has been involved in cases that have greatly impacted on the development of the law in the Nigeria and activities of the State Government.
This involves a wide range of involving Constitutional issues such as Taxation, Census, Fundamental Human Rights, etc.
Others included the Freedom of Information, Lagos Metroline Project and Export Processing Zone cases.
- Mr. S. A. Quadri – Director
- Mr. Hammed Oyenuga – Director
- Mrs Adeyemi A . A. – Director
- Mr. Osoala Y. H. – Deputy Director
- Mr Idowu A – Deputy Director
- Mr Obadan O. – Deputy Director
- View all members of staff