P R O T O C O L S
- It is indeed with great pleasure and honour that I offer a few remarks on this auspicious, yet inevitable occasion in the celebration of Golden Jubilee in our judicial system and the commencement of the new legal year. I congratulate the members of the busiest Judiciary in Nigeria for maintaining a high standard of institutional integrity.
- The celebration of Golden Jubilee is an opportunity to reflect on the history and achievement in the Justice sector and a time to remember all the great Judges who sat on the Bench and all those great lawyers who appeared in Court and helped in dispensation of justice. This event attended by both the Bench and the Bar affords us the opportunity to reflect on whether we are preserving the rich legacy and heritage which we inherited.
- Indeed, Lagos State has a general reputation for trailblazing reforms in the justice sector and in many other sectors. In particular, our Judiciary has earned a status for great integrity and independence over the years. We are proud of it.
- The Judiciary since its creation in 1967 has continued to grow in leaps and bounds. The volume of cases handled by the Judges and Magistrates has necessitated the appointment of additional Judges and Magistrates with improved welfare and continuous infrastructural developments to further enhance the quality of justice delivery in the State.
- The judicial arm of the government remains the only and lasting beacon of hope, fairness, and justice to all citizens while the legal profession has a vital role to play in promoting the cause of justice, protecting human rights and upholding professional standards. It is in fulfilment of our promises to advance the cause of justice that the first DNA and Forensic Centre was commissioned to aid investigation and dispensation of justice.
- Though we are autonomous arms of the same Government, I must emphasize that our success as a Government lies more in our inter-dependence and collaboration, which must be undertaken without hindering the independent discharge of our functions. I assure you of my continuous support and partnership as the Judiciary discharges its statutory responsibilities.
- There is a popular saying that, “a house is only as good as its foundation”. This Administration has laid that foundation for good governance, peace, security and public order and our justice system must remain sound, fair and effective. The good people of Lagos State must be further assured of transparency and accountability in their access to justice.
- While the Judiciary has recorded great success, the concern of delay in justice delivery is still of major concern and all stakeholders in the justice sector must ensure that the issue of delay is taken more seriously by creating innovative models through the use of Information Technology as a tool for achieving speedy and efficient justice delivery system.
- Let me use this opportunity to re-state the commitment of this Administration to promote the rule of law and regenerate a new era of economic prosperity for our dear State. I am confident that under the current leadership of the Acting Chief Judge, Hon. Justice Opeyemi Oke, the good people of Lagos State are assured of prompt and fair dispensation of justice, innovations and more reforms that will improve the administration of Justice nationwide.
- I wish Your Lordship Happy Golden Jubilee and Happy new legal year celebrations.
Itesiwaju Ipinle eko, lo je wa logun
Governor of Lagos State
October 9, 2017